Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Smallest Gift


Lately there are many things in the media speaking about women’s rights and women’s freedom. In my short lifetime of 24 years there has always been the controversy around abortion and now we are freshly confronted with the HHS mandate disputes. Now, even though I am tempted to confront the issues themselves I am sure there are others who are much more qualified to write about them and my views can also be found primarily in the truths outlined in the Catholic Catechism. But I like to stick to what I know and as a young wife and mother I know what it is to be daunted by the prospect of a not-so-planned pregnancy.

At 21 I got married and a month later we moved to Italy together. We both had jobs working on an American campus about 45 minutes outside of Rome. We of course were open to having a baby at any time but I was also very nervous about having a baby in Italy. I didn’t know if pregnancy would jeopardize my employment and I was wary of the Italian healthcare system, being totally ignorant of it.

I remember going to confession shortly after marriage and telling the priest that I was lacking faith in the Lord with my fear of pregnancy. I didn’t know if he would think I was a bad Catholic when he heard this, but instead he looked at me with love and said “I want you to pray to our mother Mary and pray that she reveals to you the consolations of motherhood”.  I thought about that for a long time and today I still do think of that advice. In prayer I would repeat to myself “the consolations of motherhood… what is that?” I knew what it felt like to babysit other children and to dote on them, but I had no idea what having a child of my own would entail. One of the most terrifying things is the unknown. And at the time, pregnancy and motherhood seemed very unknown.

We arrived to our new home in Italy in July and we were presented with a positive pregnancy test in September, the weekend after my 22nd birthday. Steve and I were so joyful, but I would be lying if I didn’t say we were also shocked. I didn’t know so many things: what pregnancy would be like, giving birth, being at the mercy of an Italian hospital, how my boss would take the news after I was a new hire, and how much the necessary healthcare would cost—I was overwhelmed with unknowns. But the great thing about being Catholic and Christian is the complete certainty that the Lord knows. Every little fear I had, I knew the Lord not only knew intimately but also had a plan for.

The birth went well and we had a perfect, beautiful baby girl and now all those fears that I had pale in comparison to the greater gift of life that they surrounded. Now I think of the consolations of motherhood and instead of drawing a blank so many things come to mind—seeing the actual face of my child and holding her in my arms for the first time, the joyful exclamation of “Hi Mama!” I receive every single morning when I walk into Abby’s room, the unexpected little hug or kiss or smile given when most needed on a bad day. I also think of the privilege of motherhood and pregnancy and feeling a baby kick that not all women are blessed with and remind myself to be thankful for it. These are things not to be treated or prevented like a disease but things to remain in awe of, that our Lord would trust us with them. I gave up complete control for the greater gift of joy. To me, there is no right or freedom that could compare to this gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment